End of Year Activities for Middle School Math
You will love these middle school math tasks that are great for the end of year or for anytime of the year.
These activities are not busy work. These tasks use higher-order thinking skills and focus on problem-solving activities in the real-world. Students have fun and are engaged as they also focus on mathematical practices.
These tasks work for 6th, 7th or 8th grade. The tasks and approachable for your low and high students, and all students should be able to complete them. View the preview for ideas on how to implement these tasks in your math classroom. Each task will take at least 1 day to complete.
Answer key, teaching suggestions and suggested rubric are included.
Includes the Following 6 Math Tasks
• Vacation Time Skill: Decimal operations and mathematical practices. Students plan a trip and determine whether it is more cost-effective to drive vs. fly. This is an open-ended task and students focus on justifying their solutions.
• Swimming Fun Skill: Surface area, perimeter, decimal operations and mathematical practices. Students determine the cost of tiles and the amount of tiles used to tile their new backyard swimming pool.
• Summer Play Skill: Decimal operations and mathematical practices. Students are given a budget to plan their summer activities.
• Stylin’ Swimming Suits Skill: ratios, proportions or percents (depending how they choose to solve the problem) and mathematical practices. Students order swimsuits for a store based on past data.
• Yummy Snow Cones: Skill: constructing a survey that gives viable results and mathematical practices. Students create a survey for an effective snow cone stand.
• Sunstone Summer Camp Skill: Geometric descriptions, can use symmetry as well, and mathematical practices. Strong focus on justifying their answer.
CHECK OUT WHAT EDUCATORS ARE SAYING
Very engaging resource, my students loved it. I will be using this for a long time.
My students were really engaged using this resource. There was plenty of material to choose from. Great Resource!
Make Sense of Math
No refunds will be given. Please contact me for any questions. 😊
One purchase is for one teacher/family. You may only use this item with students in a single classroom/family.
Copyright © Michelle Sigaran Make Sense of Math, All Rights Reserved.
This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) freely on the Internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.